Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Catalina Buffalo Run



Last Friday we made the trip down to southern California for the Buffalo 1/2 marathon on Catalin Island. Our running crew included John (Laura's brother), Jesse, Baker, and myself. The support team included Laura, and Paul & Nola Harber. Laura was super disappointed that she couldn't run due to an injury (or was that a story fabricated to cover something else?) but she's on the road to recovery.






It was already going to be a pretty epic race due to the fact that the course was so tough, but for Jesse and Baker it was ultra intense because it was their first 1/2 marathon. As you can see on the course profile it's a consistent climb for the first 5 miles, oh yeah and in those first 5 miles you climb almost 1600 feet. There's really nothing I can say to describe how gnarly it was; all I remember was that every time you thought you were reaching the summit you would round the corner and it just kept going strait up. Needless to say it was a painful one!







Althought it was one of the most difficult races I've done it was compensated by the fact that it was absolutly beautiful. The majority of the race was on fire roads through the interior of the island; we had amazing views of the ocean and the weather was perfect. Everyone did great with strong finishes. The good thing for Jesse and Baker is that with this being their first half marathon everything else will almost seem easy.








Saturday afternoon we headed back to Newport and hung with the Jones and the Morphys. We had some amazing Califoriental food; I don't know if it was exceptionally good or I was just really hungy. Either way it hit the spot. The other highlight to the trip was seeing our friend's kids. Baker and Matt are always one step ahead in the game of life; I'll be there someday guys.


























I had to laugh at this picture, it's similar to the one at the top of the page but this is after the race. We're still smiling, but it's pretty obvious that we're beat. One of the things I love the most about these events is the addictiveness. On the boat ride back and the drive home there was a ton of planning for the next race.


Get out there and register for a race, any race...it's the ultimate motivator!

12 comments:

Sabrosa Cycles said...

i ran a 5k this past weekend.

Morph This said...

Ok.. your post topped mine.

It was sooo good to see you guys, Emmy has been asking for Uncle Ben since you left.

And just so you know.. the food is that good, it wasn't just the hunger.

Ben said...

Maybe Emmy will have a cousin from Vegas to play with soon. We've already forgotten about the southern california traffic and can't wait to get back down there. The Califoriental grub was great but it still takes a 2nd to the Crab Cooker.

Yo Sabrosa,

I'm proud of you for running the 5K, but is 1 hour and 10 mintes a fast time?

Bake said...

This was the worst run ever.. I am still having nightmares from climbing. Never again Catalina will I participate in one of your events. Never again!!

McEwen Family said...

When are you not doing a race? You are constantly on the go! I love CA though, I can only imagine how nice the scenery was. But going up hill constantly...not sure about that. You are brave. congrats on a good race with your boys! It looks like you guys did have a good time overall.

-KJ said...

OK, so I am guessing Laura is no longer "hiding" anything due to your subtle comments!!!
I totally would have come down to be part of the support team! I need a Cali trip sooo bad. I am glad to hear Jesse did it. I know he has been wanting to for a while. Sounds brutal.
Too bad you guys didn't stay for this weekend. It's the Tour of California. Kev went last year and said it is fun to watch, especially on the last day.

Ben said...

That would be rad to watch. I was actually at a bike race this last weekend of a different sort. Watch for the update.

And NO Laura really isn't pregnant.

The White Clan said...

Ben congrats on the race. And I hope you are not joking about Laura, I would love to see a little Harber running around. I am rooting for it to happen soon.

Kacey

Matt and Kay Jones said...

Never has pain been captured better in a photo then the shot of Baker and Jesse running by the golf course. I really regret not doing that race with you guys oh wait no i'm cool no regret.

Ben said...

It's cool that you don't have any regrets; it's also cool to admit that somtimes you're just scared to do something.

Someday you'll return to the guy that would fight wild animals with his bare hands and then run a half marathon. Until then we'll love you for who you are.

The White Clan said...

i digitally enhanced the picture of you and laura with paul and jesse and nola. And as i zoomed in i noticed a bump on the belly. it totally looked pregnant. There was some serious pudge. but as i zoomed out i realized i had zoomed in on ben's stomache. sorry you don't have the wash board abs that i have.
chris

Ben said...

Yeah you're one to talk. I may not have a six pack but I definitly don't have a tool shed like you.