Monday, April 21, 2008

First (unofficial) Century Ride of the Year

This weekend I had the opportunity to ride with the RED BURRO crew out to the Nevada/California state line. Aside from it being a bit windy the weather could not have been better with temps in the low to mid 70s.

We started at the top of Summerlin, rode through Red Rocks, down Blue Diamond Hwy, through Southern Highlands and then the frontage rode that parallels the I-15. The ride was cut a bit short at Primm when we found out that the state line was another 12 miles (one way). The total ride distance was 93 miles, so just short of the official century length. I felt totally justified calling it a century due to the wind we endured.

While the ride was very enjoyable I was reminded how much work I still need on the bike; these guys were animals! For them it was a fairly easy pace to build their early season aerobic base, for me it was all I could do to keep my heart rate under 95% of my max. At one point during a climb I was pushing 190 bpm, that's pretty nasty considering my max is 193.

I'm really liking getting out for long Saturday rides and can't wait when it's time to start charging up Mount Charleston.

11 comments:

The White Clan said...

Who in the world would ever want to ride their bike 93 miles??? Ben you are nuts!!! But you are amazing, congrats!!!

VeloRyan said...

Nicely done. Let me know when you're up for the Flume or even better......the Super Flume (more miles and more climbing, oh boy!).

Keep in touch.

-KJ said...

Isn't the wind always brutal in Vegas? Kev rode a century there once and said it was the worst!
Hey, have you seen these? Weird.
http://vibramfivefingers.com/

Ben said...

Those look awesome, I would love to run in something like that. Unfortunately my pronation is so bad that I have to wear a corrective shoe.

I seen a few crazy suckers running marathons barefoot....insane!

-KJ said...

HAHAHA! You have to wear corrective shoes!!!
*to be sung in a mocking voice* ;)

Ben said...

OK...it's not like I'm Forest Gump.

-KJ said...

well, physically anyway.

So, have you been to see the baby? If you do, tell Lauren we are thinking of them.

Ben said...

Yep I've seen the little guy and he's doing well considering that he came a bit early. I'll pass it along.

aubrey. said...

so i was san francisco a little bit ago and we rode bikes across the golden bridge and it was quite a trek getting there... (it was like a mile in the wind) but in my defense i am tiny!
anyways... there are these two crazy big hills and my friend and i had to hop off our bikes and walk up haha... but one guy passed us like 15 times just going up and down! his thighs were buff!
so the point... i totally thought of you!
i never see you but the times i do see you i think you're the funniest cousin so i love you and just thought i would share that story.
whoa... longest comment ever!

Ben said...

How'd you like that KJ...I'm the funniest cousin!

All this time I thought I was the favorite, I guess I'll settle for being funny.

-KJ said...

Maybe if we EVER saw you I would say the same thing!!!
I do have some pretty sweet memories of working at PF with you. Those were some good ol times. Oh, I think you were my BFF in Norway. Remember how hard we laughed on the train? First class baby!