Friday, March 27, 2009

You're Not Hardcore


I'm not suggesting that I am either; but the reason I can make the statement in the title is that I witnessed two stunts that raised the bar in my mind.




A few weekends back I cruised up to St George to do a quick ride with the Sabrosa Crew. Before I headed up I was told that there may be a few different calibers of riders that might be tagging along. It was meant to be a leisurely century (100 miles) up to Zion and back so no big deal.

1st Stunt

John decides to ride a damned newspaper boy delivery bike. Now granted it's a beautify handmade bike built by his own hands but it's a fixed gear outfitted with fenders and a freaking canvas saddle bag on the back. I'm pretty sure he does this kind of crap to make people like me feel like a tool that show up with a light fancy-pants bike. He's not in the picture above but I can assure you he has a subtle smug smile just like the one he has when he beats you up a hill on a bike that weighs twice what yours does.

2nd Stunt

Now when Mr. Sabrosa plans a ride he will typically invite all types. There happened to be a couple of folks just getting into cycling and then there was the guy on a mountain bike, carrying a backpack equipped with a telescoping handle and rollerblade wheels in case he wanted to just pull it behind the bike. Turns out he didn't plan on riding the whole 100 miles and got picked up around mile 40. The 2nd stunt is in reference to Billy; he's the guy in the picture wearing sweat pants, cargo shorts, and skate shoes. This crazy sucker tried to leave his house without a water bottle because he claimed he didn't need it. Now Billy did ride the whole thing and kept up with the group.  It's scary to think how fast this guy will be once he figures a few things out. 



Despite getting schooled by the folks above it was a beautiful ride, and great to knock out the years first century.  Next time a plan on wearing my one piece speed suit and and the teardrop time trial helmet.  Maybe that'll give me a edge.  

2 comments:

McEwen Family said...

That sounds like an awesome ride. i gotta get me one of those paper boy bikes!

Sabrosa Cycles said...

The only other thing that needs to be mentioned here is that Billy, el chivo, Stuntman #2, the sweatpant wearer, somehow managed to drag a break shoe for 50 miles and didn't know it. That is hard core.

Oh yeah, I did win king of the hill points on a bike that weighs twice what yours does. I also owe you a new plastico water bottle cage. Bring the skin suit to the twofertoraweap adventure.