Monday, June 18, 2007

Bend, Oregon

I'm a little behind on the updates, but better late then never.

The Monday after the marathon we flew up to Portland. It was about a 3 hour drive to Bend but it was very worth it. We passed by Mount Hood and some of the most beautiful country I have seen. Living in the desert really makes a person appreciate the green that that you see in this part of the country.

One of the highlights of the drive was our participation in a police chase. We were passing through this tiny town when we saw a highway patrol car attempting to pull a car over for speeding. The driver slowed down to the speed limit but would not pull over; this went on for 10 to 15 minutes. The highway opened to two lanes in our direction and a driver from behind us passed the cop and the pursued driver. He got himself in front of pursued driver and started to slow down. So being the good citizen that I am I also pulled past the cop and along the side of the pursued driver so that she could not pass. I was thinking that this lady would just slow down at this point but no she flips a U turn into oncoming traffic and heads the opposite direction. The cop obviously flips around and continues to chase her. I felt that we had done our part so we just continued on.

The place we stayed was called Pronghorn, just outside of Bend. I couldn't imagine a better place to recover from the marathon. They had a 36 hole golf course, pool and spa, gym, etc. I have never see a golf course that was so manicured, and some of the most diabolical holes ever conceived. Apparently the course was designed by Jack Nicklaus and he's know for this. For the most part we just hung with the family, it was great.


The other highlight of the trip was getting to see Smith Rocks. This is a very well know climbing spot in the northwest. Unfortunately no climbing to be had on this trip, I was still working on walking without a limp.


It was also on this trip that my nephew Jackson took his first few steps. His dad Travis doesn't want to count these since he wasn't there. Sorry Travis it's just one of the sacrifices of being in medical school. You missed a great vacation and your child's first step.

1 comment:

Mands Glenn said...

Dang.You guys are such a hot couple! I haven't checked blogs in awhile and so glad I did. Hope you are doing well.