Wednesday, June 06, 2007

San Diego Rock & Roll Marathon

Four months of training, the perfect diet, custom fitted running shoes and my wife still beats me to the finish line. I love having a hardcore wife!


We arrived in San Diego Saturday afternoon just in time to meet part of the crew for lunch. In addition to Quinn and Megan (fellow runners), Baker, Jenny and Matt Jones (spectators) all met up to eat and then headed down to the expo to check in for the race. Anthony and Krista decided to go to Mexico for the afternoon; I figured he was trying to get in a cheap session of blood doping to get an edge on race day. We were just happy to find out they didn't end up in a mexican jail.

The prerace dinner was Thai food at a spot near our hotel. The highlight of dinner was Baker considering running the race with no training under his belt. Correction, he had a couple of 4 mile runs in the last month. This guy has so much heart that he probably could have finished.


The morning of the race was perfect; about 60 degrees and overcast. We started downtown and ran through Petco Park, the Gaslamp Quarter, and the San Diego Harbor. Following the downtown section, the course traveled up Highway 163, and then through the bayside communities, Sea World and ended up at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in Point Loma.


My main problem was that I waited to long to light the torch, it wasn't until mile 15 that I really tried to step it up; by that time I was already fatigued. Everything else went pretty well until mile 23 that was when I started really feeling the pain. I continued to push with the goal in mind to finish under the 5 hour mark. I ended up finishing strong and was very satisfied with my first marathon.










Official race times:



Laura 4:36:44

Ben 4:51:19

Anthony 4:57:42
.
Kathleen 5:08:20

Quinn 5:10:50

Megan 5:10:51


It felt so good to be done with this race; we now get to rest for the afternoon and then off to Bend, Oregon for a week of vacation.

2 comments:

Bake said...

Ben you and Laura were awesome. I am glad I didn't run it. Two days later I ran 2.5 miles and was dying. Congrats again on finishing a marathon. Only a select group of people have accomplished it!!

Richard Pike said...

Ben and Laura it is great to stay in touch by reading your blog. I spoke with Ben today and he let me know how the race went but this is great to read about.