Thursday, October 18, 2007

24 Hours of Moab

Last Thursday Mr. Ryan Kushman and myself headed to Moab for a 24 hour mountain bike race. We were joined by the other three members of the Sabrosa Cycle Team (John, Delena, and Mark) and a bunch of other cool folks.









The race is started with about a 200 meter run so that racers are not trying to pedal over the top of each other.






Mark coming through the gates into the transition tent.


The race was a blast and we ended up doing pretty well considering 1/2 the team was sickly. We took 5th in our category, and 65 in the overall (about 400 teams total). Much thanks to Sabrosa Cycles and the support crew for all they did.


Ryan and I stayed in Moab for a quick ride Monday morning and then headed back. We decided on the Slick Rock trail since it was Ryan's first trip to Moab. For those that may not know the name is given to the ride because 99% of the course in on sandstone...pretty cool.
.



4 comments:

-KJ said...

I know Kev has wanted to do this with the guys he rides with. He will be jealous! He and a buddy drove to St. George this Saturday to do some rides. They had a blast, but decided at the last minute to do a new trail that wasn't marked very well and was messed up by some 4 wheelers. It got dark, and they couldn't see the markers. They got lost for 2 hours but finally found the truck. I was going to kill him when he told me. Anyway, 10 hours of driving for about 5 hours of riding...all in one day. I'll never understand.

Ben said...

If Kevin wants he can do the 24 hour race with us in February. A little bit of a further drive to Tucson, but if he's willing to drive to St. George for one ride why not to AZ for a 24 hour race.

-KJ said...

Oh my word. Should I encourage it? He just said today that you are his superhero. He can't believe how you guys just hop from one adventure to the next. Then he asked if you had kids. When I said no, he said, "That's why."
WHATEVER!!! That guy rides whenever he wants. I don't know if I've ever told him no. Anyway, maybe I will let him know about it. He can drop me off in Vegas and ride out with you guys. He is trying to get back in shape, so maybe that will be enough time before he were to go! We are always looking for ways to get out of the snow!!!
Soooooooo, when is there going to be a baby Harber? ;)

Ben said...

Hopfully not anytime soon. I'm hoping that if I ride my bike enough it might not be possible. Just kidding!