Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Assult on Mt Charleston & Highway Robbery

Last weekend I made the years first trip up Mt Charleston. Due to the lack of riding partners I had to roll solo. I’d definitely rather ride with a group but sometimes it’s kind of nice to ride alone. You can cruise at your own pace and have some time to think.

Turns out my decrease in weekly mileage has helped a ton. The past few weeks I’ve been playing in the overtraining danger zone. This happens when you’re putting in too many miles, or riding with guys that are too fast. I say that it helped a ton to cut back because I felt fresh and was able to stay aerobic almost the entire way up; the top gets a bit steep so I went anaerobic for a bit. The ride was great and I definitely look forward to riding up there more this summer.

This is the highway robbery part:

I hit the Charleston Lodge and pulled over to fill the water bottles. I didn't know if there’d be water available so I was prepared to be happy with just about anything. Luckily there was a café inside that sold drink so I was pumped. I grabbed a Vitamin Water and headed for the cashier; the clerk rings it up says, “That’ll be $ 3.25 please.”

Me: Excuse me?

Clerk: $ 3.25

(I thought for a split second about going out back a peeing in my water bottle but remembered that should be reserved only for desperate occasions.)

Me: I must have grabbed the wrong one; do you have the nonalcohol version of Vitamin Water?

Clerk: Vitamin Water doesn’t come with alcohol, does it?

Me: No man I was just kidding because that seemed to be a bit much for a bottle of flavored water.

Clerk: You know, it’s just that rule of supply and demand.

This is where I just smiled, signed the receipt and walked out. Not only was the guy too slow to get my joke but he was going to make some jackass comment about supply and demand. I would much rather had him say (and probably laughed with him),” Bend over and grab your ankles cause there’s no other shops to buy drinks up here.” I’m no econ major (unlike my beautiful bride) but I’m pretty sure they bought those drinks at the same Costco that I do.

To be honest I have no problem paying a premium for goods where the premium is earned. For instance I would gladly pay (without complaining) $ 5.25 for a Vitamin Water in the middle of the Sahara Desert, or maybe on the trail to the Everest Basecamp. But the difference there is that the Sherpa that sold me the water out of a cooler, from the back of his yak truly deserves it. I will complain however when some idiot tells me it’s a matter of supply and demand 15 miles from Vegas.

I didn’t let this ruin my ride but it did provide for some interesting perspective. I just paid $ 3.25 for a 20 oz beverage. At the per gallon price that would be $ 20.80; and I complain about gas prices!

10 comments:

McEwen Family said...

Nothing short of a rip off...that's all I have to say, I love how Mt. Charleston is so remote that they have to upcharge beyond upcharge...wait Mt. Charleston is like one exit away from my house? for future reference, just remember Ben, costs are going up...costs are going up :)

Richard Pike said...

Ben,

Try to buy a Coke or Pepsi in Paris. I think I paid in US dollars about $7 for a glass of Coke. Good thing that there were free refills. I walked out of that restaurant so full of Coke I was able to do without for two days. :) Well not really. You know me and Mt Dew. No Mt. Dew in Paris.

-KJ said...

So, it looks like you did bend over and grab your ankles. Are you sure you weren't buying that water at a movie theater?

The White Clan said...

I did that once at the movies and I thought your cheap-A friend was gonna freak! But i had the excuse of being knocked up so I really needed the water. Chris will never forget that, he would rather stash it in the purse or something.

Ben said...

You're right the movie theater is pretty bad. I'm pissed at myself everytime I go without bringing my own drink.

I'm going to become one of those goofy road riders that wears a camelbak.

Sabrosa Cycles said...

The Full Throttle must have been way beyond the wad of cash you had stuffed in your jersey pocket.
Is there really a shortage of vitamin water? I had better stock up.

-KJ said...

Haha! Kev always laughs at the road riders with camel backs! We'll just pretend that they are hard core. Then that will make it OK for you to do it.

Amanda said...

you need to listen to jerry seinfeld's skit on prices in airports- priceless & so true.

'tuna is very rare here'

the fix said...

If you continue past the lodge and past the Deer Creek (158) to the Informative Center (maybe another mile or so) there is a water faucet which is turned on in the warmer months only (dont know when the park service actually turns it on). Plus there is a bathroom. It's only a few more miles to the top of 157 but it's a good regroup point before the finish or a good place to refill (and relief) before cutting across Deer Creek to Lee Canyon.

Ben said...

Thanks for the tip.